Remote Learning Support for Parents
Supporting Home Learning Routines - Planning the day.pdf (educationendowmentfoundation.org.uk)
Home Learning Approaches - Planning framework.pdf (educationendowmentfoundation.org.uk)
Parents and Carers Engaging in Home Learning - A checklist for schools.pdf (educationendowmentfoundation.org.uk)
Times are very challenging and so I have attempted to provide some of the resources available for parents.
They include teenage behaviours which can be challenging and concerns with social media safety and positive mental health.
Activities to try for your Mental Health:
- Kindness with Zumos – Part of our 70 Day Wellbeing Programme. Today we focus of Kindness.
- The Mental Health Foundation - A selection of Mental Health Foundation materials, including some great social media graphics to raise awareness and show support online.
- Random Acts of Kindness - A fun site focussing on positive action and experience. All sorts here from virtual tours of the world’s greatest museums, to energetic challenges focussing on this year’s Mental Health Awareness Week topic - Kindness.
- Positive Psychology - A whole host of activities for all ages, some fun games and conversation starters all centred around being kind.
- Take Action Get Active - Part of the MHF challenge to get active this May. Focussed on the links between physical activity and mental wellbeing. Would make a great virtual challenge or video project.
- Time to Change - Some great games, posters and graphics to print and play.
- Random Acts of Kindness Lesson Plans - Worth having a look as we are all educators in our home schools, some nice lesson plans and extra ideas to do at home.
- Do Good From Home - Some great inspiration on here, lots of great ideas of activities you can do at home as a family to show some kindness to others in the times of pandemic.
- The Human Givens Institute - Some more resources from Human Givens including webinars, online courses and hard copy materials such as posters.
- The Human Givens Podcast - One for Parents and Staff. A really interesting podcast series from Human Givens, it discusses many varying issues covered by experts in the field.
DFE recommended Mental Wellbeing: Secondary
- BPS: https://www.bps.org.uk/news-and-blogs
- Children’s Society: https://www.childrenssociety.org.uk/coronavirus-information-and-support
- MindEd: https://www.minded.org.uk/
- Rise Above: https://riseabove.org.uk/topic/my-mind/
Coronavirus (COVID-19) advice and support for parents and carers (NSPCC)
The NSPCC has created a number of resources to support parents and carers during this difficult time. Topics include:
- Talking to a child worried about coronavirus
- Parents working from home
- Children staying home alone
- Lockdown and separated parents
- How to cope with tantrums and other difficult behaviour
The advice can be found on the NSPCC website here: https://www.nspcc.org.uk/keeping-children-safe/coronavirus-advice-suppport-children-families-parents/
What children are saying to Childline about coronavirus (NPSCC)
Gaining an insight into the worries that children have shared with Childline during this pandemic can help adults think about what support needs to be put in place for young people at this time.
Download the summary here: What Children Are Saying to Childline
Lincolnshire Stay Safe Partnership is an excellent resource:
Advice for Parents and Carers Directory Page link: https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/directory/16/stay-safe-partnership/category/69
Video Chatting: A Guide for parents and carers of secondary age children - https://parentinfo.org/article/video-chatting-a-guide-for-parents-and-carers-of-secondary-school-age-children
Also there is a guide for online safety and safeguarding during COVID 19 (where to go for help, guidance, etc) - https://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/professionals/our-views/online-safety-and-safeguarding-during-covid-19
In other news, CEOP have released the next set of lessons for home schooling and they can all be found in the same place as before - https://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/parents/Support-tools/home-activity-worksheets/
Top Tech Tips for Families
BT and ITV have linked up to produce a series of top tech tips to aid parents and children during this time at home. There are some great simple and quick messages around online safety, apps, phishing etc all presented by celebrities.